Request to Post A Position
Download and complete the Student Employment Job Description *Updated 8.24.23*
Use the Student Assistant Classification Guide to aid you in determining the proper Student Assistant Classification.
- Use the 2023 Student Assistant Pay Rate Schedule to determine the appropriate salary for the classification selected.
- Obtain the necessary funding approval(s) from your assigned/authorized department representative based on your department's business process.
- Complete the Job Posting Request webform and attach the completed job description (JD).
- Departments must have a Handshake Employer Account established to post a job. The department will be listed on the Job Posting webform if an Employer Account has already been created. If not, please go here to request an Employer Account.
- Job Postings are added to the on-campus Handshake Employer Account by Student Employment Services.
- Student Employment Services will process the Job Posting Request and respond with a confirmation email that to the requestor and Applicant Reviewers.
Please Note: At this time, hiring managers do not have access to manage applicants directly in Handshake.
Review & Interview Applicants
Effective December 15, 2020 applicant information for jobs on Handshake will be delivered to the Applicant Reviewer(s) via email. For more information on the Applicant Reviewer role, please go here.
Contact the applicants you wish to interview by clicking their email addresses as listed on their applications.
Establish Your New Employee's Record
Meet with the new student employee prior to their first day of work (virtual meetings are also acceptable). During the meeting, both you and the new student employee are required to sign the Job Description.
Complete the Student Intake Request and instruct to be on the lookout for an email from SES with instructions for how to schedule an appointment to complete the intake process.
Students should come prepared with the original document(s) they wish to provide to complete the Form I-9. Photos/copies of these documents are not acceptable. A list of acceptable documents can be found here. The average intake process takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
Upon completion of all the necessary documents, the student employee and hiring manager will receive a "Clear to Work Notice" email stating that the student employee is able to begin work. Do not allow your student employee to begin performing services until you have received this email.