Skip to content


Frequently Asked Questions

Who can I call about my paycheck?

Please submit payroll inquiries via the Payroll Services Inquiry webform.

Who can I contact about my lost check?

Contact UCPath at  855-982-7284 and ask for a replacement check. This could take 4-6 weeks to receive a new check.

How can I be eligible for Federal Work Study?

To be considered for Work Study, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet all the deadlines for supporting documentation. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) priority-filing deadline is March 2nd. Once the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office receives your FAFSA information, you will be evaluated for financial need and a financial aid package will be determined. This package may include Federal Work Study. To initiate the eligibility process for Work Study, you must first accept your Work Study award on your student portal. You may then begin to review available on-campus and off-campus positions in Handshake. Once hired, you and your hiring department must complete and submit your Federal Work Study Eligibility form. For any questions regarding Federal Work Study please contact the financial aid office at

When can I start working?

You may start working after visiting the Student Employment Services Office and successfully completing hire paperwork. 

How many hours can I work/ Can I hold more than one job?

Undergraduate student employees may not work more than 18 hours per week during the academic year. Student employees may work up to 40 hours between semesters up to the last day before the start of instruction. They may also work up to 40 hours during the winter and spring breaks. Student Employees may hold up-to two on-campus jobs at any given time; with exception of Resident Assistants. Due to contractual agreements, Resident Assistants may not hold more than one job. Those working more than one job may not work more than 18 hours per week for all jobs combined.

How much can I earn on Federal Work Study?

The Work-Study award listed on your Work-Study Eligibility form represents the maximum amount you may earn (Federal and employer contributions combined) under the work-study program during the academic year. If you work in an on-campus position, you may continue to work and earn more than you FWS award if your hiring department approves. However any earnings over the award will not be paid under the FWS program and will be charged to the on-campus department you are working for. Any portion of your award that remains unearned at the end of the academic year will be forfeited, as it cannot be transferred to a subsequent award period.

Are FWS earnings taxable?

Work-Study earnings are considered taxable income. However, there are several factors determining the amount of your withholding, student unit enrollment, and Federal and State Withholding thresholds.  

Where do I pick up my check?  

If you are a new hire, your first check will be mailed to the address you provided when completing your hiring documents. You may enroll for direct deposit online once you're new employee record has been established.  All jobs held are paid in one check and either mailed or direct deposited to your account bi weekly. If your check does not arrived within 5 business days after pay day, please reach out to UCPath at by selecting "Ask UCPath" in the right corner of your UCPath Dashboard or by calling  855-982-7284 (PST) Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Where do I report my hours worked?

TRS (Time Reporting System) is the electronic timehseet reporting system utilized by UC Merced. Hours can be recorded daily and submitted to your supervisor for approval at the end of each bi weekly pay cycle. 

Where do I go to get employment information/verification?

You can check employment information/verification at: